Saturday, September 1, 2007

What is a Missionary?

Dictionary.com defines a missionary as:
"a person sent by a church into an area to carry on evangelism or other activities, as educational or hospital work."

Unfortunately society has a "cookie cutter" definition of what a missionary is. I unfortunately fell into that trap. I thought the exact same thing. My "cookie cutter" definition of a missionary was someone who was "perfect" or as they say: "holier than thou". Someone who was constantly happy and couldn't admit that they were having a hard time where they were sent to. Someone who couldn't be in an argument, have a bad day, or maybe just not get along with everyone. Most importantly, that person has a perfect spiritual life.

So just because I don't fit that definition, does it not make me a missionary?

I struggled with that question, until I realized that the answer was no.

Although I do enjoy smiling, seeing the glass half full and love what I do, I also have my hard days. I miss my family, my home, my friends, my life. I miss it all. I also do not always get along with everyone, but I pray and try my hardest to see and love them as G-d does. I unfortunately do have my bad days where everything just seems to fall apart, and/or I just want that day to end. I'm quite hard-headed so I do tend to argue at times. Yes there are also times when I just don't feel like being around anyone. And to top it all off, my spiritual life ISN'T perfect.

I'm just a girl who has eyes for G-d alone and is willing to allow Him to work in and through her. I'm not perfect, but in my weakness, G-ds strength can come through. I may not ever know why i'm here in Saipan, but G-d sure does and I trust Him.

My new defintion of a missionary: A person who loves G-d with all their heart and is willing to put their life in His hands so that He can do what he see fits.

That defintion fits me!

2 comments:

Bev said...

Vero, I love you just the way you are.

Sean said...

Great post, Vero. God has always used flawed people, so there's no shame in being less than perfect. You don't have to be perfect to be in the center of God's perfect will.

I'm so glad you're here!